Improvement of Market Oriented Dairy Production and Processing of Milk Producers Cooperative Society, Bandarawela
Total Project Cost
Locations of the Project
Ella, Hali Ela and Haputale
Number of Beneficiaries
Background of the Proposed Project
Improving sustainability and financial returns of the members of the Milk Producers Cooperative Society, Bandarawela through increased productivity, reduced post-harvest losses and value addition
• Value addition liquid milk through pasteurization and sachet packing prior to marketing
• Farmer level Dairy shed infrastructure development to exploit potential productivity of dairy cows.
• Night feeding cows ad-lib with crop residues to compensate the 30% Dry matter deficit in daily feeding
• Strengthening of farmer organization on organizational management skills and dairy management technology
• Establishment of milk chilling facility at dairy service center to cease milk quality deterioration.
• Milk pasteurization unit and a milk packing unit are in operation to add value for 200 L daily.
• Comfortable housing for dairy cows ensured and husbandry facilities are facilitated.
• Feeding cows in shed during night with treated crop residues is practiced by the farmers
• Effective administrative and technological management of Milk Producers’ Cooperative society
• Positive impact on foreign reserves of the country.
• Increased living standard of the farmer.
• Social enterprise in operation for betterment of the village society.